Birding Galapagos Islands

Birding Galapagos Islands
Birding for Conservation

Monday, June 7, 2010

Birding Yanacocha - New Photos


Another day at Magical Yanacocha Reserve. 

The Andean Condor (Vultur gryphus) made an unusual appearance.  This is the second time I photograph the condor, the firs time was in Puluahua; see my first blog in 2010.




I originally thougt its was the majestic Black-and-chestnut Eagle, but Derek Kverno corrected me and appears to be a dark-morph Variable Hawk (Buteo polyosoma).  The dark underside and the tail band look very similar to the eagle.



This is the first time I see the Purple-backed Thornbill (Ramphomicron microrhynchum)





And also for the first time a nice picture of the White-throated Tyrannulet (Mecocerculus-leucophrys):




Thanks to Carol and Dwight for staying with us and comming with me to Yanacocha Reserve.

2 comments:

  1. Carol and Dwight had an great time thanks to Renato´s excellent birding skills. We´ll do it again sometime. Carol and Dwight from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are excellent shots of some awesome birds. I still can't believe we missed that eagle when we visited Yanacocha; we certainly walked far enough to find it! I'll never forget that trip.

    ReplyDelete